Do you expect your children to take care of you when you're old?

Discussion in 'Family Issues' started by UmiNoor, Mar 13, 2012.

1. ACSAPA

ACSAPA New Member

Agreed, I don't want to be a burden to my kid either. But a nursing home doesn't sound great either. I would probably live on my own in a small studio apartment and hire someone to check in on me from time to time and make sure I'm not dead.

2. alycat32

alycat32 New Member

I don't expect my son to. While I want to be visited as much as possible, I don't expect him to put life of living/having a job somewhere else on hold because he feels obligated to take care of my husband and myself. Also, if we're really going down hill, I'd rather him not witness that sadness.

3. dorothymoreno

dorothymoreno New Member

I know that I took care of my parents when they were still here on this earth with us, and I know if needed my kids would take care of me as well, out of love as I did my parents. It would never be burden just as mine were never a burden. It is called family.

4. vpresson

vpresson New Member

I don't expect it. If they grow up and do it cause they want to i'd appreciate it but I don't expect it. I take care of my mother I started taking care of her at the age of 16 when she started having health problems and couldn't work and I wouldn't change it for the world.

5. buf

buf New Member

Definitely yes. My parents give me everything. And now when I 18 year old, they still pay for me to go to the university. I owe them a lot.

6. Robknowsbest

Robknowsbest New Member

It would be a nice thing for them to do but I won't expect it from them. That used to be the way it was but now alot of kids either put their parents in a home or forget about them all together so I'm gonna try to make sure I'm set just in case.

7. justusforus

justusforus New Member

I don't think anyone "expects" anything of their children. I think it a good family unit though, if people are instilled with the right values, it would be a given that you would help elderly parents or for example a sibling who was disabled or falling on hare times. I know that sounds idlyllic, but I would hope that would be the rule, family helping family.

8. Buckeye

Buckeye New Member

I'd hope that with the choices I've made leading up to old age, that I will have covered myself. But if something were to happen to change those circumstances, I'd expect family to look out for family, children included. I'd do the same for others, not only in the basic family unit but extended family, as well.

9. timjn

timjn New Member

My mother, Della Lundquist, was a resident of the Care Center from 1/15 until 9/16, and she loved it there. There were activities going on every single day, the food was good and the staff was so caring and dedicated. They kept us informed of any changes in her or her routine. We felt like the Three Links staff was part of our family, and we knew she was being well-taken care of! It was a wonderful place for her to spend the last of her 105 years.